Thursday, August 13, 2009

Scientific Visualisations

AFTER EFFECTS

So in after effects and with the use of some plugins and some presets this stuff is possible

Magnetic Movie from Semiconductor on Vimeo.



I'll be mucking around with Particular and some other plugins packs I have for After Effects - the Art School doesnt have these... yet.

the lines are done using 3D stroke with an expression of wiggle on the time remap setting for the animation. The particles could be done in trapcode particular. back plates I think are all still images with the effects matched in perspective. add the wiggle to the position for the precomp to get the desired effect of handheld. incase u want your backplate filmed. you need a 3D matchmove software to extract the camera data out. Boujou, Syntheyes, PFtrack, PFhoe for 3D tracking.

the shaking of the lines would be animated at normal speed in AE. then using Time Remap + wiggle expression to get it shaking. Check out andrew kramer's Twitch Preset. that should do the trick. The birds eye view shot of the magnetic field is just Fractal noise, animated masks and scales.

more to come...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelley, Thanks for checking out my site and becoming a follower - I thought I would reciprocate. I find the above work really fascinating and enjoy very much the drama inherent in the illusion; the whole narrative actually, using the everyday and familiar spaces to 'people' with 'scientific experiments'. Contgrats on a great little video. I have spent a number of years working and teaching in Final Cut which is what my MA work on my site is edited in, but I have yet to get into After Effects. A number of my students are using it on other courses and it looks great - kinda busy right now, but sometime I would like to get into it ... keep up the great work. I will be back to check from time to time. Best, Mike

    ReplyDelete